LikeMoney’ Tips For Keeping You Safe This Easter Weekend
Every Easter weekend, hundreds of thousands of motorists hit the roads for their weekend getaway but don’t see how they are risking their lives. Last year this time on average 57 people died each day on South African roads and deaths were up by 49% on 2014s figures. The department of transport said the main causes of accidents are speeding, drunk driving, dangerous overtaking, unroadworthy vehicles and fatigue.
Likemoney’s Safety Tips:
- Keep to the speed limit: Speeding highly reduces your response time in a dangerous situation and impairs your ability to steer safely around corners and objects on the road. Statistics from Arrive Alive show that a 10% decrease in speed reduces fatal crashes by 40%.
- Overtake safely: Never overtake on a solid line, its there for a reason. When overtaking ensure you have a clear view in front of you. Secondly don’t overtake multiple cars in one go.
- Don’t drink and drive*: Drinking reduces your reaction ability drastically. By drinking and driving you can kill yourself and other travelers. Furthermore if you are found guilty for drinking you can face up to 6 years in prison, a fine of R120 000 and your drivers licence being suspended.
- Fatigue: Drivers should get at least 8 hours of sleep before a long journey. You should also avoid driving between 2am and 6am which is your bodies down time.
- Don’t post photos and locations of where you are staying because robbers can use this information to rob your house while you are away.
To be extra safe, view and compare Likemoney’s Life Insurance and Car insurance.
Share Your Thoughts About LikeMoney’ Tips For Keeping You Safe This Easter Weekend using Facebook
Rate LikeMoney’ Tips For Keeping You Safe This Easter Weekend